Outreach officer vacancy
Closing date for applications: 15 October 2014
TIA is currently seeking an Outreach officer; commencement of work is November 2014
Transgender and Intersex Africa is a human right organisation found in 2010 by transgender activist, Tebogo Nkoana. We are a registered as a non-profit organisation that lobbying and advocating for the rights of black trans andintersex persons in South Africa and are slowly engaging on a regional level. Our long term goal is to increase the quality and accessibility of comprehensive healthcare for rural and township based transgender and intersex persons in South Africa and to also ensure visibility and gender recognition of transgender and intersex people through a human rights frame work.
Our long term outcomes are:
• To enforce trans healthcare within primary health services in South Africa
• To ensure the recognition of trans and intersex health needs within the national department of health.
• A national HIV response that is inclusive of trans health needs, vulnerability and issues.
• Simple accessibility to gender marker changes within Identity documents though provisions made available by act 49 of 2003.
• A raised positive profile of trans and intersex issues among cultural, traditional and religious groups though outreach activities and campaigns and media.
• To ensure a human rights sensitive approach to intersex health care
To support implementation of outreach and advocacy projects, with particular responsibilities for supporting transgender and intersex individuals
Key working relationships:
Duties and responsibilities:
• Organising and facilitating workshops;
• Managing individual fieldwork schedules;
• Providing fieldwork progress updates on a weekly & monthly basis;
• Write reports on fieldwork activities;
• Assist constituencies via email and also on a face to face basis.
Good understanding of transgender and intersex issues
Minimum 2 years’ experience working on programmes or projects related to civil society policy engagement
Strong understanding of programme design and logical frameworks, including links between objectives, activities and budgets.
Ability to engage on social media, ensuring communication and feedback about our work and projects
Commitment to and experience of working within diverse teams or networks.
Excellent communication skills in English and the proven ability to write effectively for different purposes, including programme reports and summaries, news updates and advocacy briefings.
Excellent interpersonal skills over email, telephonic skills and the ability to work well with others, as well as remotely.
Strong ability to plan, organise and prioritise work, and the ability to meet tight deadlines under pressure.
Willingness to work flexibly, including additional hours on an exceptional basis at peak times, and to undertake significant travel
Good understanding of South Africa’s gender identity policy issues.
Ability to work in at least one South Africa’s official languages except English.
Experience in designing or delivering training and/or capacity-building materials.
Experience of support monitoring, evaluation & learning activities, including online monitoring and reporting systems.
Experience of events management.
Experience of working with civil society campaigning networks and coalitions, and understanding of the dynamics including communication, coordinated action and campaigns.
Please send a copy of your CV and supporting documents to our Administration and Communication officer Tshepang Maganedisa at .Please use “outreach officer vacancy” as the email subject line